Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320
Default Stuff.

I'm not looking for sympathy here folks, I'm just unloading a bit so bear with me.

A few months ago my wife started having what I'll refer to as 'woman problems.' Several trips to the Doctor later they decided she needed a hysterectomy and a few other repairs on her woman parts. In general, this isn't *too* big of a deal but there's always risk associated with surgery. A week prior to her woman repairs she had her yearly mammogram. And here's where it all went south. They picked something up they wanted a closer look at so they scheduled another appointment -the day prior to her hysterectomy- to investigate further. This visit resulted in a biopsy of the suspect 'thing.'

The hysterectomy and associated repairs went very well. The surgeon told me it would take a couple hours so naturally at two hours and one minute I was staring at my watch muttering to myself; WTF is taking so long? Three and a half hours later he came out and informed me everything went as planned, no surprises but she's going to be sore for a bit. She was also supposed to go home the next day but that didn't happen due to some minor issues which resolved themselves. She ended up staying another couple days.

And now the bad news. The day after her surgery while she was still hospitalized, the breast clinic called with the results of the biopsy. Cancer. I'm generally a very pragmatic person but this knocked me back on my heels a bit. OK, a lot. My first reaction was almost disbelief which quickly gave way to anger, and shortly after that, resolve. "**** it. We'll deal. No choice."

A couple weeks ago we had the consultation with the Oncologist. This was a three hour meeting discussing what we're dealing with, treatment options and the general path forward. The important pieces are this; this could not have been caught earlier and it's VERY small. It's also the most common type of breast cancer and the most treatable. She'll need radiation for sure, but according to the Doctor, "I'd be surprised if she needed Chemo." Basically, our takeaway was if you're going to get breast cancer, her's is the one you want to get. (If there is such a thing)

The woman has the constitution of an Ox. Her attitude about all this is phenomenal. She's had a few tough days when she made the appointment for the lumpectomy. 'It's real now' was her comment. Cancer surgery is Jan. 4th. A month after that radiation begins. Five days a week for six weeks. As for the Chemo piece, we won't know until about a week after surgery but we're holding out hope she'll escape this.

So for now, she recuperates here at home with our four dogs. And in January, we attack this new issue. I'll tell you what, if I could do it for her I would in a second.

Please folks - no cancer horror stories. We WILL prevail here I know it in my heart of hearts. And more importantly, so does she. Also, I'm friends with a few of you on Facebook. So far we've been able to keep this off social media and we'd like to keep it that way for the time being. While this place *is* public it's definitely not FB.

Onward.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post: