View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 4:04pm   #14
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,923 Times in 592 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Dang, this young lady was a warrior.

"She was the only child of biologist Hans-Wilhelm Koepcke and ornithologist Maria Koepcke. When Koepcke was 14, her parents left Lima to establish Panguana, a research station in the Amazon rainforest. She became a "jungle child" and learned survival techniques. Educational authorities disapproved and Koepcke was required to return to the Deutsche Schule Lima Alexander von Humboldt to take her examinations."

"While in the jungle, Koepcke dealt with severe insect bites and a maggot infestation in her wounded arm, but after 9 days, she was able to find an encampment. She gave herself rudimentary first aid, including pouring gasoline on the maggot infestation. The maggots vacated the wound to escape the gasoline. A few hours later, the returning loggers found her, gave her first aid, and took her to a more inhabited area, where she was airlifted to a hospital."

'After recovering from her injuries, Koepcke assisted search parties in locating the crash site and recovering the bodies of victims. Her mother's body was discovered on January 12, 1972."

"I had nightmares for a long time, for years, and of course the grief about my mother's death and that of the other people came back again and again. The thought Why was I the only survivor? haunts me. It always will.

Koepcke, 2010"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke"
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post: