Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 13,004 Times in 7,316 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
What do you do with all your current furniture and stuff? My main concerns with this are Hurricane related, how will the boat fare in the event of the next Maria, and where will the bulk of your stuff be stored? What is insurance like on that boat? Do you pay property taxes on something like that?

Long ago, when I bought a sailboat (a Cal 27), the couple I bought it from did exactly what you want to do.....they bought a Cal 30 and planned to live aboard for a year or so. They sold their house in North Houston, put their stuff in storage, and lived on board, at the marina. Of course, your situation will be different, as you'll have a residential style bathroom and kitchen, as well as more space.
As I said I'll be downsizing. I'll get rid of about 2/3 of my stuff. No big deal. If I can't sell it or give it away, I'll toss it.

In a hurricane any owner of a boat such as this will take it to a protected inland bayou... which is where it would already be permanently moored. I'd need to come out and adjust lines as the storm progresses, same as any other boat owner would need to do. In this situation a big plus for me is that I would be at the residence (which has a 45kW whole house generator!), not on the boat, but close enough to keep an eye on it and take measures as need be. Any other boat owner with no dock has to simply anchor the boat as securely as possible and hope for the best. They wouldn't be able to come out during the storm and make little adjustments. That could be the difference between coming out relatively unscathed and losing the boat entirely.

If I need to store anything I'll do so in a spare bedroom in the main house. They have 3700 sf and my parents live alone. Plenty of storage room.

I don't know what insurance costs. I may decide to self insure it if it's too costly. No property taxes on the boat, although the boat dock is listed as an Additional Feature line item on their Ad Valorum Bill.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote