View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 4:34pm   #16
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 1,684 Times in 636 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

FBI originally adopted the 10mm after the Miami Shootout, but only carried it for a couple of years, 30 years ago. They found that it was too difficult to control for many shooters. The .40 S&W was the offshoot of the 10mm, and it was wildly popular until most recently 9mm made a resurgence.

10mm died after the FBI dropped it, but it had a few followers, and remained nearly extinct for a couple of decades until Glock decided to come out with the 10mm Glock 20 and Glock 29. The round made a rebound and has a following with outdoorsman and is popular in Alaska.

I have two 10mm handguns, an original Colt Delta Elite and a Glock 20. I usually carry 220 hardcasts or 190 grain mono-metal rounds for outdoor carry. Before anyone says it, a 12 gauge Brenneke slug would be a lot better for Brown Bears, but sometimes you have what you have, and it might only be a handgun. It’s my go to handgun for backwoods carry while hiking and fishing. I worry less about Brown bears than two legged creatures, but I have enough confidence in my Glock 20 that I don’t feel undergunned.

I wouldn’t buy a 10mm just to buy one. It’s a niche round and it’s expensive and hard to source. Unless you have a use for it, it’s just going to sit and gather dust in your gun safe.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post: