Old 03-28-2024, 11:09am   #2271
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.5%

Thanked 1,913 Times in 745 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Used cars are a whole different thing. If a dealer accepts a trade, they will do their due diligence and inspect the car. I doubt that any dealer will take a seller by their word.
There are different expectations when you buy from a private individual than if you buy from a business. Some small scumbag dealers are changing mileage on cars to sell them more expensive. About 15 years ago, I was looking at used cars for the wife. I checked some cars at smaller dealers and the mileage on the car seems low. Turns out that when I ran the carfax, the dealer bought the car at the auction with 250k miles and when they listed it for sale, it was listed with 95k miles. They switched out the computer from a lower mile car of the same model.
Shady corner lot dealers are often not to be trusted. Mileage rollback is very common.
Expectations are quite different if you shop at a small car lot or from a private individual or a new car dealership. This still doesn't make it ok for used car lot dealers to roll back miles and hope that buyers don't run a carfax.
Not necessarily. Last Saturday my wife traded her 2021 Lincoln Aviator on a 2024 BMW X3 M40i. No one from the dealership looked at her Lincoln. All they asked for was the mileage and what condition it was in. She told them that it was perfect...it was...and they gave her a fantastic trade-in value.

Now, onto my EV tale. A friend of mine and his wife from Michigan spend winters in LA with their sons. He drives a Tesla Model X and he always takes the far south route when driving back to Michigan. He takes I-10 east to San Antonio and then he heads north to Michigan. This year, his wife flew home and he called and asked if I wanted to ride with him from LA to my home, which is about 35 miles north of San Antionio. I thought it would be a nice trip, so last week I flew to LA, spent a few days looking around (**** that place...the traffic SUCKS!), and then I met up with him to start the trip. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, on the trip was based on where he could find a Tesla Supercharger to recharge the car. Holy shit, what a pain in the ass that is! We had no urgency to get back to San Antonio, but whenever I suggested a slight detour to do some sightseeing, the answer was always "That takes us out of the way of the charging station". **** that! We drove over 1200 miles and he didn't/couldn't/wouldn't deviate even a few miles from his pre-planned routes. Charging every 200 miles took about 25 minutes and it was surprising to see the same people, who were also heading east, at every charging station. Not only was the charging a PITA, but the ****ing road noise in the car is almost unbearable. Evidently, Tesla either doesn't install sound deadening material in the Model X, or they forgot it in this car. We basically had to yell to have a conversation. My fried said that his wife complains constantly about the noise. Also, his car has 84k miles on it and it's on its FIFTH set for front CV axle joints and its fourth set of tires. The first four sets of CV joints were covered under warranty. He paid $2k for the fifth set. Apparently there's a known design flaw in the older Model X vehicles (his is a 2019), and there's no fix for it.

The moral of the story: **** EVs, **** Tesla...and **** JOE BIDEN!
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote