Old 02-22-2012, 3:06pm   #61
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 5,625 Times in 2,002 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1524159

Don't forget the idiot who knows torque:

Quote:
You can buy any cheap-ass torque wrench like one from Harbor Freight and calibrate it yourself if you are anal enough to need exact values. Put a socket on the wrench and fix the socket into a vise with the handle of the wrench sticking straight up (so the weight of the wrench handle is not a factor). Attach a fish weighing scale or other measuring device to the handle exactly 12 inches from the center of the socket and pull to the desired torque amount -- adjust the wrench until it releases at just that point. If you want 20 ft/lb pull with that amount.

'Cause that's what 20 ft/lb means: a force of 20 lbs exerted on a lever one foot long. If the lever is 6 inches long a force of 40 lbs will get you 20 ft/lb; if two feet long 10 lbs of force will suffice.
I did not reply because what I've seen there the last year between the regulars that know what they are talking about, and the others that are want-a-be automotive experts, I did not want to waste time to explain to him the value of having it calibrated, and how to perform the calibration correctly. Pete was lucky enough to give me his wrench, as we just got a $60k torque tester from AKO here at work, so I tested it on that machine and gave Pete the results.