View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 5:17pm   #1
BayouCountry
Barn Stall Owner #105
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 1,370 Times in 594 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default NYT - Outdoors COVID Transmission as low as 0.1 Percent

In the NYTs of all places. I knew there was a reason I just shake my head every time I see someone outside wearing a face diaper.

Quote:
By David Leonhardt
May 11, 2021
When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission.

GET THE MORNING BY EMAIL: Make sense of the day's news and ideas with this daily newsletter.
But the number is almost certainly misleading.

It appears to be based partly on a misclassification of some Covid transmission that actually took place in enclosed spaces (as I explain below). An even bigger issue is the extreme caution of C.D.C. officials, who picked a benchmark — 10 percent — so high that nobody could reasonably dispute it.

That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent, multiple epidemiologists told me. The rare outdoor transmission that has happened almost all seems to have involved crowded places or close conversation.

Saying that less than 10 percent of Covid transmission occurs outdoors is akin to saying that sharks attack fewer than 20,000 swimmers a year. (The actual worldwide number is around 150.) It’s both true and deceiving.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/b...dc-number.html
BayouCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BayouCountry For This Useful Post: