View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 7:08pm   #1
SJW
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default '63 grille mounting

Hey, guys.

The body shop that put the new front clip on this car prior to my ownership did a half-assed job of many things. All in all, it looks pretty good, and I intend to keep it a "driver," but I have been unwinding a lot of the stuff they did wrong It's been a long list, and I'm not done yet.

Here's a question for you guys, probably for Frank in particular: How should the grille be mounted in this car? Whoever installed this one surely didn't do it correctly. There were no U-nuts used. They instead simply threaded the screws into the fiberglass tabs. I've corrected that screw-up, but have deep doubts that the attachments at the upper fiberglass tabs were done the way these cars left St Louis.

It looks as though the grille opening in the nose of the body is too large vertically for a proper fit of the grille. What appear to be home-made "extender" tabs fabricated from sheet metal were used to bridge the distance. Below are photos of the upper and lower attachments as they are presently. Do any of you guys have photos or info about how this should be done? I see nothing in the AIM that suggests the presence of these gap-spanning pieces.

I should add that this front clip is a press-molded piece from Sermersheim (Lee Bumb), and appears to be a quality item.

TIA, as always.

Live well,

SJW
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4608.jpg  

IMG_4610.jpg  

IMG_4611.jpg  

IMG_4612.jpg  

IMG_4615.jpg  

SJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SJW For This Useful Post: