Old 09-28-2022, 9:02am   #70
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,696 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
More damage found.....Now somebody please explain how an entire bearing can come out? This is what was found in the pan, a bearing and ring bits and pieces....I've heard of spun a bearing but now, thrown a bearing has a whole new meaning!

So the head has been pounded by the metal fragments, the case cylinders are gouged, and the crank bearings failed surely needs to be turned or replaced........ Is it really worth continuing on this 6 cyl. after this.....?
You found the reason why the truck was parked. It's owner probably kept driving it after the damage occurred, the oil pump swallowed metal and sieved, and then all that shit happened. What does the oil pump drive shaft look like? I would guess that one end is stripped, or the shaft looks like a barber pole.

Note that most of the damage is on the replaceable parts- bearings, rings and pistons. Scoring of the journals and cylinders is routinely repaired by under-sizing and over-boring. Your question is best answered by your machine shop.

My vote is to rebuild the I6. These engines were under-appreciated back in the day, and that is starting to turn around due to their relative rarity. For me it's about the perfect primary and secondary balance.

Keep the FE/ Cruise-O "in the bank".
Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote