View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18am   #1
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333
Default TeleBeast from the depths of Mordor build thread

Hoo boy. Let me start by saying I知 not a guitar collector. I have exactly three guitars - two custom made Strats and a one owner (me) 75 Les Paul.

I want a Telecaster with a fast neck and some noiseless, vintage sounding pickups. But I don稚 want an off the shelf Tele - for less money I can assemble one that is better than what I can get from the Fender custom shop.

So I値l buy unfinished components, do my own lacquer finish in butterscotch and get high end hardware.

This will be the build thread.

Out of the gate I just heard from Fishman. They are cutting me an endorser price on a very cool active electronics that were really expensive. Super company and amazing products.

Next I値l order up the body. Can稚 do the neck right now need to space out the cash outlays. I知 going with roasted swamp ash and I値l spray organic nitrocellulose lacquer like they did in the old days using Leo Fenders paint recipe.

The neck will be unfinished so while I知 saving my allowance I値l work on getting it finished and assembled. I need to decide which neck profile and fret wire - not sure.

Warmoth Guitars has a zillion options on custom bodies and necks. Body is straight fifties Telecaster. Neck is vintage/modern featuring a compound radius.

That means the fret board is rounder at the headstock and flatter closer to the body. Cut from a cone instead of a cylinder.

I also need to order lacquer and get it out sitting in the sun in a clear jar for a few weeks. That will yellow it to an amber color. Or explode and burn my house down. Not sure which.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: