Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 8.3%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,195 Times in 4,366 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
It's usually easier to replace hot than during a reboot and is the method I prefer. On some units, if a drive is failed and you try to bring it up, it'll go through a whole diagnostic process, then do a data check which can take ages. I have an old Buffalo TerraStation Pro 4-drive unit that can take days to come up with a failing/failed drive and it's only a 8TB unit. With hot-swap, it's just a matter of replace, config and let it start rebuilding, which may take several days just doing that. I haven't had to replace a drive in the PR4100 yet, so I looked up the process so I'd be familiar when the time comes. My Pegasus R6 is hot-swap and nearly seamless when replacing a hard drive.

I'm always needing more storage. I wish it was as simple as replacing hard drives with bigger ones in the arrays, but not all drives are supported, and then there are drive size limitations. If there wasn't, that R6 would be 132TB instead of 24.
If I ever got to that size, I'd be outsourcing...

Is that all static storage, like dvd's and such? Or, are you doing something capturing dynamic data that requires such extensive size?
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post: