Old 02-22-2021, 7:24am   #205
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 45.0%

Thanked 7,115 Times in 3,151 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
You know, that's what I thought - and still do, but my son has friends in a neighborhood a few minutes north of me and some of their neighbors had cracked pools. I couldn't confirm but decided to go around the pool and break up the ice after I lost the pump. The ice was over 3 inches thick in places. It doesn't seem reasonable that the pool could crack, but homeowners policies here don't usually cover pool damage. Did this three consecutive days.

Our power was never off long enough for the equipment to freeze except I forgot that my pool sweep runs off a separate pump and is set to only run for a couple hours a day. When I set the pool to run continuously I didn't think about the sweep. I think I would have been fine had I thought to take 10 seconds to set that pump on continuous. When I discovered the burst PVC, I shut the pool down and drained the filter and pumps. The pool froze quickly after that. If the pump isn't busted, it should be an easy fix.

Attachment 53325
If your pool is shaped correctly, it should be very difficult for the ice to crack the pool. That said, what you did was a good idea.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote