Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,660 Times in 13,631 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It accuses Trump of "obstruction of Congress" for refusing to comply with the House's "subpoenas". But if I understand the process properly (always a major chance I don't), they never issued any subpoenas, only "letters of request", which have no legal ramifications for a failure to comply.

I thought the House had to have a vote to open an official "Impeachment Inquiry" in order to gain subpoena power. They skipped that step, since it would have come along with at least some due process for Trump, so they went directly from committee investigation to a vote on the articles without the House ever voting to open an official investigation.

For months now, the Democrats and the media have been conflating the terms "letter of request", and "subpoena", but in this case, isn't it the crux of the biscuit?
My understanding is that the House cannot issue legal binding subpoenas. No obligation to appear. What creepy Joe is about to learn however, is that the Senate issues actual subpoenas and if he thinks he doesn't have to appear, he should be prepared to be arrested. Not that he will be because Democrat...but he could/should be.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote