View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 6:38pm   #1
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 62.2%

Thanked 23,718 Times in 9,803 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482
Default Dog food

Anyone else make their own dog food and if you do what do you use for ingredients?
I've been making it since early this year (should have a long time ago) as I believe the food I had him on resulted in pesticide poisoning, he he had 9 out of 10 markers. Kidneys almost failed and had other issues. It took 2 weeks to recover some(what a nightmare a week was) and another 3 months for him to get back to normal on my food.
He was overweight and not himself for the previous 6 months to a year, around the time the company was sold last year we started having issues.

Petsmart I believe sells food made in store at a few locations now, no pricing was advertised and not in my area unfortunately.

It can be a PITA to get into a routine to making it, I try to make food once or twice a month at most and supplement with sardines and whatever food we are having.
Dog is 8 year old Husky Sheppard mix

My usual recipe :
Chicken of choice cooked deboned and shredded(bagged separate) usually 2 whole chickens at a time
Hamburger cooked usually 10lbs at a time(bagged separate)

Sweet Potatoes boiled and mashed 8 to 10 lbs
Frozen peas shredded
Frozen chopped kale
Carrots shredded
Broth of whatever I have
Eggs(6 to 12 depending on amount made)
Cranberry sauce either jelly or berries
All of above mixed and bagged.
Everything is frozen.

Either white or brown rice(he doesn't care for either)
For filler I use bread heals, old crackers or rice Krispies and a sprinkle of fruit loops as he's a sugar junky.

He eats well now, much better than the previous year or so and weight is spot on now.
Attached Thumbnails
20150317_170127.jpg  

Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post: