Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Welcome back.
I never left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
More recently I witnessed in person some of the dirtiest football I've seen by Baylor players.

To be fair, I think the football team took the blame for an ugly culture that the school ignored. The corruption didn't stop with the school... even the police in Waco were complicit.

I feel sorry for some good friends that are Baylor fans. Not sure the school will ever fully recover.
There was certainly enough blame to go around. What really irked me more than anything else was the attitude of some of the fans. Briles and most of the coaching staff turned a blind eye to the whole incident, and then two weeks later the Baylor game was on National TV with people selling Support Coach Briles T-Shirts and putting up banners all over the stadium. The behavior of those fans reinforced the "win at all costs" culture you were talking about and made the team and school look bad on a national stage. Even Drayton McLane Jr., who the stadium is named after, called to put pressure on the University not to release the coaching staff. Seriously? I'm very surprised that the NCAA didn't invoke the Death Penalty like they did for SMU.

It was an awful thing to go through but at least they got to retain their football program and saw some success with Matt Rhule. I was really impressed at what he was able to do with a decimated team.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post: