10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,425 Times in 17,231 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
When my kids were looking at colleges, I told them that if they got the grades to get in I would, within reason, send them to the college of their choice. My daughter was telling me TCU since she was 4, so no-brainer there. My son looked around and I said that I refused to pay for Baylor or A&M because I don't want them attending a school that is, in my opinion, more cult than college. Fortunately he wasn't too keen on either of those schools. After the scandal that hit Baylor a few years back that got Art Briles tossed out, the rest of the country got to see first hand what a lot of people here knew all along...how full of shit the Baptists that run the show there are. It was embarrassing for any respectable Baylor grad to say the least IMO.

TCU has some "woke" aspects to it now, but I suspect it'll die down eventually when all of this nonsense becomes a bad memory because Ft. Worth is a lot more conservative. The chancellor is always sending out these hand-wringing emails saying how much better we need to do with inclusion. And of course they hired some black, overweight ex-football jock as the "Director of Inclusion." Seriously dude? You're running a campus that's 85% WASP and costs a small fortune to get in. Making sure that you have a good variety of entrees in the cafeteria is about as much inclusion as you're going to be able to get away with.

I did my undergrad at UTA, and they always send me newsletters with all this woke shit in it, then ask for donations. Meh...I don't think so. Maybe you can get Pelosi to donate to your cause.

I don't know when Baylor was ever a cult. I missed that, I guess. As to their downturn, it maybe started when they split from the Southern Baptist Convention. They were so eager to prove that they were not a Bible college, that they bit the hand that literally fed them. They did require a semester each of Old and New Testament survey, but they were taught mainly as historical works, what was going on at the time. All the kids who grew up in Sunday school thought they were going to be cake walks, until the first exams.

And with respect to sports scandals, you forgot about Iba's b-baller scandal. Turns out recruiting junior college thugs isn't a good idea. Drugs? Murder? Not really traditional values for Baylor. They also went on a massive building spree that skyrocketed tuition for the kids. When I was there, it was a US News & W.R. best value private school list. Now? Shit, you've got to be independently wealthy to send a kid there. Preachers' kids, getting funded by the local church? I don't see how they could swing it, unless they're missionaries for a megachurch. Kids from farming families? I don't see how they could swing it. It's sad, really.

As far as the football program, when Grant Taff left, it was obvious that winning was more important than building character, and the basketball scandal just proved that. I guess the alumni pressure to win overpowered what should have been the mission (pun intended).

Finally, as much as I used to poke fun at Oral Roberts U., I was actually hoping they would make it. Watching the country turn into a cesspool of filth and deviancy, I find myself trying to latch on to any vestige of the America I once knew.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post: