Old 06-20-2022, 7:18pm   #29
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 2.2%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,117 Times in 5,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
One indicator of craziness that has never failed me is: When someone convinces themselves that they aren't crazy, it's just that they are smarter than everyone else they come into contact with, they are around the bend, and it will be a tough road back.

UD definitely got there with his self-diagnosed "Asperger's Syndrome", and comparing himself intellectually to Elon Musk. There are currently two people in my real life who are at this point. It's not a fun show to watch.
My step sister was bipolar, as well. Diagnosed as a teenager (back when they used to call it manic depressive.) She passed away a few years ago at the age of 53. Heart attack. Sadly, it happened after she had gotten her life back together and had maintained sobriety for two years. The heart damage appears to have been caused by alcoholism due to self-medicating, which was an active choice on her part.

Anyhow, I agree with what you’ve said with regard to recognizing that someone is already around the bend. Based on personal experience, I would also add these behaviors: Lack of humility. Lack of remorse in the face of causing obvious and profound damage to relationships. Manipulative behavior that is solely focused on self-preservation and gratification…even when it is apparent that it is impacting others negatively.

Note that my step sister’s mental illness did not preclude her from knowing right from wrong. She was aware of right from wrong. It did cause apathy, though, so right and wrong was a moot point.

I wish Doug well. He should have stayed in the treatment facility for longer. I hope he is actively involved in some sort of outpatient care.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post: