Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 30.2%

Thanked 33,834 Times in 12,329 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg826 View Post
So with a powered sub, Can I utilize the 14AWG already there, or would I need to run new?
since powered "anything" requires 600 ohm coax wire... "twin-lead" will not work.

But, subs are less critical than all other speakers in a 5.1 setup - as far as placement goes.

Quote:
Mike, I understand $500 is low-end for a full speaker system, but that's the budget I've set for this. Next house will get the better system
well; I guess I was a bit crass there :sorry:

I have been amazed at the quality of sound of some of these "ALL IN ONE CARDBOARD SHIPPING BOX" surround sound speaker systems for sale at retailers.

The key is to used matched drivers; and these all-in-one-box systems do just that. Even though the front/center/rear cabinets may contain inexpensive drivers.... they are usually the same driver.

I truly hate listening to a guys system that's a mutt-mix of different model speakers/mfgrs. Each speaker mfgr/model has it's own unique tonal characteristics.

Having Sansui fronts, a JBL center, and Pioneer rear speakers creates a muddy mess of differing tonal qualities competing against each other.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote