View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 9:16am   #61
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

Yeah.... running in TTA I can only do so much. Heres an explanation/overview I posted on another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
I'm setting this car up around an actual timetrials class and the corresponding wheel to wheel racing class. It's all based on power/weight ratio and then you have modification points you can "spend".

For TTA (timetrials class A) and the coresponding PTA race class (same modification rules as TTA, but actual wheel to wheel racing) A C5 Z06 Corvette can have a minimum competition weight of 3118lbs. Min comp weight is the weight of the car as it would come off track after a race. So that's with dirver and safety stuff and remaining fuel load.

Based on that I can have a minimum power/weight ratio of 8.7 lbs/power. 3118/358 = 8.71. The heavier I run the car the more power I can run.

Now on top of all of this stuff in the TTA class I can spend modification points. In this case I can spend 19 before I'd ahve to move up to the next class which is TTS which is where I ran the Panoz. In TTS there are no modification points... it's "anything goes" so long as you stay above 8.7lbs/horse. I've spent my 19 points as follows:

1. 7pts - C5 Z06 is docked 7 pts from the start for simply being what it is.
2. 9pts - Hoosier A6 tires 13pts, however since I'm running a smaller 275 all around I get 4pts back so it's actually 9pts. Running the smaller tire also allows me 0.4 back on the hp/weight ratio. So by running them I can be at 8.3 lbs/horse which is where I get the previously mentioned 370-375 max figure.
3. 2pts - T1 swaybars
4. 1pts - ATI Superdamper UD pulley/balancer
Total = 19

So I'm done.... that's why I'm running stock manifolds and a stock air intake w/ a drop-in filter etc. Everything else done to the car is a no-points mod. Updating to the 2004 spec shocks, '02-'04 spec H-pipe, '02-'04 spec air intake, fresh springs/oil pump/timing chain, etc. etc. are all "free" mods.

The nice thing about TTA vs. TTS is it controls cost. To compete in TTS I'd need coil-overs, a bit more power, and full aero.... another $10k in the car minimum.

Hope this helps some.... if you really want to learn more about it venture over to nasaforums.com • Index page and read up on it all.
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobra4B For This Useful Post: