Thunder22
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.3%

Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,283 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $216475

Ferrari’s team order “wasn’t clear enough” – Raikkonen
2018 German Grand Prix Posted on
22nd July 2018, 19:31 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine

Kimi Raikkonen says he wasn’t clear Ferrari was issuing an instruction to him to let his team mate past during the German Grand Prix.

Raikkonen asked for the order to be clarified before letting Sebastian Vettel through into the lead on lap 39.

ADVERT | BECOME A RACEFANS SUPPORTER & GO AD-FREE

“We have certain rules but it wasn’t clear enough,” said Raikkonen.
Ferrari brought Raikkonen into the pits 11 laps earlier than his team mate, which meant Vettel ended up running behind Raikkonen. Vettel complained several times on the radio that he was damaging his tyres running behind Raikkonen.

However Raikkonen, who was likely to need a second pit stop had the race stayed dry, was concerned about losing time by letting Vettel through.

“I had speed and obviously it was a bit in a moment in the race that I wasn’t ideally to stop. That’s what happened.”

The rain which fell later in the race and Vettel’s race meant the change of positions proved academic.

“In the end, it didn’t change an awful lot,” said Raikkonen. “It was a tricky race with the rain and it was pretty slippery in a few places.

“I had a small moment with one of the lappers [backmarkers], the Sauber, under braking and Valtteri got past me, so not an easy race. I’m happy to finish, a bit disappointed, but I’ll take it today and we’ll try next time.”

Ferrari’s message to Raikkonen
Jock Clear So Kimi this is Jock. You are aware we need to look after tyres. Both cars need to look after tyres and you two are on different strategies. Your track strategies are slightly different and we’d like you not to hold up Seb. Thankyou.
Kimi Raikkonen I’m not sure what you mean. What do you want me to do?
Jock Clear Losing as little time as possible, obviously, but when you can Seb is capable of going quicker but, er, he’s hurting his tyres and you are as well, we need to look after them.
Kimi Raikkonen So you want me to let him go? Just tell me.
Thunder22 is offline   Reply With Quote