Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Well of course not, but then I wouldn't characterize a gay couple as being part of a hate group to the extent that the skinheads are. Technically, a private business should not be "forced" to do anything. I see the slippery slope argument, but that's kinda taking things to an extreme.

I just think the whole thing is a little silly and it could have been handled a lot better. I mean...losing your business over a cake? Vator is right: If you're running a business, it's really supposed to be about profit.
Sometimes you have to take things to the extreme to make a point. To you and I, skinheads may be an offensive group that we would not equate to groups such as LBGT associated ones. However, that baker may see the LGBT groups in much the same way. Do we agree with that? In my case, no. However, it is not up to me to decide another person's morals or beliefs. And according to the constitution, it is not the government's place either. When a court rules to force a business to bake a cake for a gay wedding, it sets a legal precedent that could test the courts for years to come over being forced to bake a cake for any number of fringe groups.

Yes, businesses are in it to make money. Does that mean that if I own a cigar shop that I should be forced to sell weed and bongs since my state has passed a recreational pot law? Extreme example? Of course, but since it is only about making money I shouldn't care even if I am against smoking pot.

Not picking on you Chef, just raising a couple of points of the slippery slope when government gets involved.
Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote