View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 6:58pm   #36
thegreenman
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #22
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8878

Weather cooled off a little and I had some time to look things over a little closer. I found the source of the whine, as expected it was the power steering pump. My low pressure hose collapsed and there was not enough fluid was getting to the pump. Cut the hose and rerouted it for better angle, bled the air out and the whine is gone. I still have a little chirp, but that will have to wait for another day.

My belt is still jumping off, messed around with the alignment and discovered between the supercharger and balancer it is off by about one rib. I thought it was good, but the first rib I was counting was actually the edge of the balancer, doh! I tried to get the supercharger pulley off and I could not get it to loosen.

I called Magnacharger for tech support, they said the supercharger pulley should only be 45lbs. I finally strapped it down using an old shredded belt and it took 250lbs to break the nut loose. As soon as it l loosened I could see why they torqued it so tight, it was the wrong pulley. It was a press on shaft with a press on pulley and it had a lot of sloop on the front of the pulley, it was off by .040 inch. MTI Racing installed the wrong pulley. After a few more measurements, the offset for the pulley was also wrong, no wonder it would not align with the balancer.

After messing with the alignment (before removing the pulley), I am able to shred a belt in only five or six miles, this is getting expensive. Something has to be hitting the belt to shred them so quick. Looking around the belt, I found a nut that was touching the supercharger belt. A little grinding of the bolt/nut and it is now a little shorter, the belt is no longer touching the nut.

I decided to order a different spring type belt tensioner from ECS Supercharging. I also ordered a ZR1 idler from Lingenfelter. Maybe these will take out some of the wave action of the belt.

I just sent an email to Magnacharger to see if I can get the correct press-on hub and pulley combination for the supersharger.

If you are so bored you are still reading this, at least I think I am making some progress.

thegreenman is offline   Reply With Quote