Old 07-29-2012, 10:43pm   #8
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 6,071 Times in 2,555 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Oh...no way I'm going back to J55 brakes- have you priced those? (C5 brakes are half the cost)..plus my orig calipers need to be rebuilt. I actually have very cool two piece C4 J55 slotted rotors, but the pad is small and I'm gonna stick with the C5 conversion.

If I could get genuine Canadian made Raybestos foundry rotors, that would be cool, but I'm willing to spend $110 a pop for some kind of aftermarket premium stock (C5) replacement, just not a $600 set of two piece C5 rotors or anything real exotic. Consider this more of a repair and not an upgrade. I'm also gonna give the Timken bearings for the F-body a shot (courtesy of RedLS1GTO's thread) since one side finally went out of spec.

ZR-1's are heavy, but with the dual diaphragm booster, the brakes actually work. I should have done it right the first time since the weight of this model is so hard on them, but between the missing parts for the brake conversion, the ZF rebuild, $1000 set of tires, the FX3 rebuild, $700 for 16 stainless injectors, and hundreds of dollars in misc knick-knack repairs, I had to compromise. Lasted a year and a half so it wasn't too bad.
Mike, he meant stock C5 brakes.
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote