Old 03-27-2024, 9:07am   #2134
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 96.8%

Thanked 33,691 Times in 11,842 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Speaking as someone who has sold thousands of vehicles, I agree with MOST of this... however I disagree completely with the part about not discussing financing as a part of the deal. If you don't, I'm 100% going to assume the worst case and negotiate price accordingly.

In that case I'd walk out and go to a different dealer, which I've done before. When the salesperson knows you're serious about buying the vehicle, and that you're more than willing to walk out, they get more willing to negotiate. If they don't I go buy somewhere else.

When we bought the last Explorer in 2017 I had a small yellow sticky note that I gave the salesman when we sat down and his first question was "How much do you need your payment to be?" I handed him the note with one number on it and said that's what we'll pay and that I didn't care how they got there. He got a weird look on his face and said he didn't think they could do that but he'd check with his manager. A few minutes later we signed the agreement, after which we discussed how we'd pay for it.

Too many new car buyers let emotions rule how they negotiate, and they get too wrapped up in what their trade is worth, rather than the difference between the two vehicles, and they're not willing to get up and walk out.

I'm also not worried about a few hundred dollars either way when the vehicle is well north of $60k. Perspective matters.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote