Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270
Default Speaking of Pro Sports...

The only pro sport I watch is golf. There is a player on tour...fairly good one...named Cameron Champ. He's 1/4 black (white mother, half black father). He's a Texas A&M grad too. He looks, and presents himself as more white than I do.

To show you just how phony this whole thing is: During the US Open, Champ started wearing one black golf shoe and one white shoe with victims names on them. It was his form of "protest." Of course he was giving reporters all the sound bites they could stomach in an oh-so-dignified way. There were some feeble remarks from a few players about "Oh yeah I support Cameron, blah, blah..." but no one was making any wardrobe changes to reflect a political stance. Fast forward two weeks to the Safeway Open in Napa and he's back to wearing the same color shoes and there's no press conferences. Why? His big audience went away, so why bother at a regular tour stop? Hasn't been heard from since.

As a side note: Many people would be surprised to learn that sponsors direct players on what outfits to wear on what days of a tournament. They actually have their hats, shirts and pants selected for them.

There is a guy that I work with at the Golf Course who's son in law has been on the PGA Tour for several years. He told me that the players all had sit downs with their sponsors and were instructed to basically keep their mouths shut and play golf. Kaepernick may be a card-carrying fool, but none of these guys are stupid enough to step on their dicks and walk away from multi-million dollar sponsorship deals. The PGA and one or two sponsors feebly trotted out commercials during the Fedex Cup and the U.S. Open saying how they were going to earmark something like $20 million over the next 10 years to encourage more open participation. Ever since the regular season started again, nothing has been said.

At least the PGA is smart enough to realize that no one with half a brain is going to take anyone talking about race relations seriously who's coming from a sport that's loosely based around country club membership and white privilege (snd where maybe 5% of the players are what would be considered "people of color"). It's also hard to fault a sport when someone who is arguably one of the best ever is a well-spoken black guy (Tiger Woods).

I'm sure that my fellow golf addict Cybercowboy can back this up.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote