lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
No, even though it's practically legal here.
Last year I built raised boxes similar to yours and had a nice garden. Season here is later than yours. So far I have planted tomatoes, zuchini, various kinds of squash, carrots, onions, radishes, various melons, beets and I have a few huge artichoke plants that are huge and already producing. By july I will be trading stuff with the gang at the local coffee shop. We all grow stuff and trade. Things are just starting to come up now.
It's cheap, fun, and I know my vegetables have no pesticides on them. I am fortunate to have an army of lizards in my yard that seem to eat all the bugs. Birds were eating my early sprouts (they especially like beets) so I put brightly colored pinwheels in the boxes to scare them off. It seems to be working.

I also grow roses and put them in vases throughout the house.
You have a great variety of stuff planted. My favorite bumper sticker I saw was, "Lock your car doors--it's zuchinni season!". That stuff does produce a lot! A good ole Southern recipe is zuchinni spears, stewed tomatoes, and sliced onions boiled until tender, lots of black pepper sprinkled on top. Especially good with corn bread.

The only roses I have are Knock Out Rainbow, which is a prolific producer of blooms, but they're small and not that attractive.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote