Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 13,011 Times in 7,321 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademaker View Post
Its a stick about a foot long with a small loose propeller tacked on the end.
The stick has notches cut in the handle, that, when you run a smaller stick up and down the notches, the vibrations start to turn the propeller.

My Dad used to carve them.

Oh, Blademaker... Blademaker. Such a sense of humor on this guy. You slay me.

Gene, I'll give you a proper answer to your question. A doodle-stick (properly expressed as a hyphenated compound word) is a smaller version of a doodleflatchy (oddly enough, not hyphenated). While the doodleflatchy is designed and intended to be used by males, the doodle-stick is marketed towards women. They are both similar in appearance, resembling a single chopstick which has been flattened at the narrow end. Doodleflatchies are slightly larger than doodle-sticks.

In the mid-nineteenth century, people used to ride around quite a bit in open wagons and carriages; at least, more so than now, if you know what I mean. With the horse or a similar beast of burden used to tow the vehicle, dirt, fecal matter and other debris frequently wound up in the faces, mouths and nasal cavities of the passengers. The devices were used, along with a small wooden mallet, to dislodge the debris concurrent with the end of the passengers' journey.

Propellers.

As if.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote