Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
because there are features in the newer versions that people might enjoy using.
Such as?

I more/less asked that in my previous post...What is gained by changing to another platform? If there are legit features found in newer forum packages that can't be implemented on this one, I'm genuinely interested to hear what they are.

Quote:
do you have the same car that you drove when you were 17? no, you've upgraded, why?

I'd have replied sooner, but had to do a brake job on config.php and replace the water pump on init.php.
Not really a good comparison...Cars and all mechanical devices wear and break down over time, php/css/html files do not. They work 100% the same today as they did in 2009. And short of a conflict with server services (ie; a newer php package gets installed), that will never change.

That's probably the #1 reason sites do update to newer forum versions, they're often forced into it by an updated OS and/or it's services, namely php compatibility.
In our case, we got lucky that CentOS 7 still installs (old) php 5.4 from the base repo. 3.8.4 supposedly isn't even compatible with 5.4, and that was one of my concerns during the transition last year. Yet here we are and I can say the combo works just fine. There are later versions in the 3.8 series, each one rewritten to accommodate a specific php version. Fortunately, we didn't end up needing to re-license and update to one of them. And php 7.1 is the end of the line for both VB3 and VB4 series. Someone on shared hosting that gets updated to php7.2 or later will have no choice but to go with VB5 or another forum package.

With our VPS, I at least have full control over the OS and its services. CentOS 7 doesn't EoL until 2024. So a decision to update forum software isn't a dire or immediate concern. It's something to consider, sure, but no absolute need to take action for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
re: the ib comment - i don't see that cf is on 3.7.x, and while the ui might be, they have definitely incorporated features from the newer version into the site, either by script, html, etc etc
Oh yeah, they've definitely modified their forum (is any of it for the better?), so have I here over the years.
I'm not sure which of those modifications you believe comes on VB 5, however. Or for that matter, which ones can't be applied to 3.8.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to start a kerfuffle, i thought it was just a nice thing to offer help if you wanted to do an upgrade.
There's no kerfuffle...You asked, I answered. I also noted that I have explored and have given thought about moving to another platform, and why VB 5 specifically is not a consideration.

I'll reiterate what I said in my first reply about a migration...Yes, some features could be gained (what are they?), and some custom features in use here will likely be lost. Choosing a forum platform is very much a compromise, and before diving in on such a project, I first need to compare those pros/cons. Show me an example of something better, and I will definitely give it a look and consider it. I'm just extremely skeptical you can link me to a VB 5 site you deem better.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post: