Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 33,032 Times in 14,168 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
DAB, have you ever considered contacting a logger and getting some butts (the very bottom, and widest part of the trees that they cut and discard before hauling their logs out? I watch the tv show swamp loggers, and it seems they generally are just a problem to dispose of.

That would give you huge chunks of solid wood to carve stuff from. I realize you probably don't have any forests too terribly close, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to drag a trailer and bring some back
i don't keep a lot of stock lumber around, i get stuff as projects come up. only lumber that grows around here is either piņon pine or juniper. neither of which is very desirable for building things.

don't have a trailer. and even a bed full of stuff would cost way too much in money to make it worth the trip. 13mpg truck.

likely the reason shows and people like that have trouble getting rid of some stuff is that it isn't worth the transport cost to get it somewhere else. even if they gave it away, it wouldn't be worth the gas costs to get it from Louisiana to NM. 2000 mile round trip: 2000/13= 154 gallons of gas * $2.20/gal = $340. not including meals and hotels.

now i'm into this pile of rough lumber for $500. and i'd have to get it milled to usable sizes, and then wait 1-3 years for it to season/dry before I could use it for anything. that's a lot of time and money sunk with no idea if there is a payback later on.

my 2 cents.

DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post: