polarbear
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,184 Times in 568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
Looking at maybe a 2009 or 2010.
She has a small Acura right now, and doesn't want a big car. We don't have kids so we don't need a big sedan, but 4 doors would be nice. Looking for something AWD for the winter. I looked at the CTS but I am hearing bad things about Cadillac's AWD transmissions. Also considered a Maxima and the Acura TL.
This will be a long term car, probably 10 years.
Ford Fusion SEL AWD, or Lincoln MKZ AWD if I had to have a better name on the grill. Here's why:

1. Both cars are best in their respective classes for reliability, according to JD Powers 3 yr dependability survey.

2. A new model will replace both cars in 2013. While I'm sure it runs faster and jumps higher, it also means the current best-in-class midsize and entry-level luxury cars will be available at a significant discount. Yes, I am a big mooch.

3. Your mention of an expected 10 yr ownership window.

a. That murders the 3-Series BMW right out of the gate. This particular generation's service history, thusfar, absolutely sux. And the car hasn't been out that long. I find it hard to believe that reliability will improve as these cars age.

b. The Lexus's biggest weak point is a design flaw- the tight back seat. Unless you're transporting toddlers or quadraplegics, it isn't a happy place to spend any amount of time in. That in itself makes me question the dollar value of the car.

Me? Given the timeframe and the climate you live in, my only question would be which Subaru model to put the wife in, and whether to go Turbo, non-Turbo, or the flat-six. Given the stellar resale value, I'd just bite the bullet, buy a new one, drive it 200,000 miles and call it a day.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote