Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 12.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,204 Times in 4,373 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
When you faced an armed enemy, and you were fired upon, I'm guessing even under the Clinton or Obama ROE's, you were allowed to shoot back?

I'll agree that Trump punched down, and sometimes got a little too caught up in giving his opinion on TV talking heads, but I found his general willingness to tell people who were full of shit that they were, in actuality, full of shit, refreshing. Yes, Trump wasn't polished, he was a typical NYC, in your face loudmouth, but at least we knew where he stood on any given issue, he didn't talk out of both sides of his mouth, like, well, like most other politicians.

In terms of actual accomplishment, Trump has been the best president in my lifetime. His biggest Achilles heel was his hiring. He hired a BUNCH of shitty people, and he also hired some great people, like Rex Tillerson and Mattis, who just did not share Trump's policy visions. Part of the blame for the shitty hiring goes to Cocaine Mitch, who ran the Senate much like an opposition party. Trump was never really allowed to pick his own people, which is how we ended up with losers like Chris Wray and Gina Haspel.
Thanks Bill. Well thought out. I have worked in military stuff most of my life, and there were times that I really would have liked to tell someone to F-off, but I knew that the way that I would still be in the game was to work it a bit differently. I always respected those who chose to handle it face on, but then sadly saw most of them be labeled as troublemakers and sent packing.

There's an Ayn Rand book, The Fountainhead, of which I'm sure you're familiar. While the Roark character is a strong protagonist for perfection, I am pretty confident perfection, as defined by one human or another, is a fantasy. We will always need to move off of our personal "perfection" and find acceptable solutions. Yes, this is compromise.

Many of the folks in his administration did try to find solutions. I know many of them. There just was never room for anything other than the CiC's view.

Thanks again for the comments. I always appreciate someone who puts more than an inkling of brain cells in their posts, and you continue to deliver
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post: