Kevin_73
Barn Raising I,II
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $313284

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda67gta View Post
Seeing these pics makes me want to have those points reinforced on the 71 before long.

I upgraded the suspension last summer with the VBP Street and Slalom kit, and didn't notice anything (other than the front right lower control arm was fubar).

It's not like a visual inspection is gonna show the welds getting weak....
The power steering pump pulley sits directly above this point on the crossmember. Unless you pull the engine (or at least the alt and ps pump) it is impossible to see the welds.

I installed the engine in mine in 2006, and while I had it apart I completely stripped the paint off the frame and repainted, so I got a good look at everything. I didn't see any problems at all then. I guess the crack either formed after I put the new engine in, or it was so small that I couldn't see it even with the paint stripped.

I haven't been able to do anything with it yet, beyond pulling the wheel and taking pics. The biggest problem I have right now is that I pulled the car into the garage forward and I doubt there is enough room to get a hoist in there to pull the engine. I need to try to secure the control arm mount temporarily well enough so I can pull it out of the garage, turn it around, and have it be able to roll out into the driveway so I can pull the engine in the open.
I'm thinking I might be able to get a chain vice grip around it and the broken upper bracket and that might hold it well enough for me to do that.

I will probably upgrade the front suspension while I'm at it too.
Kevin_73 is offline   Reply With Quote