View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53am   #1
Toque
Charter Member
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1077
Default Its finally done - LED enhancments

Guys:

I got the bug.... as with most mods on my car it sucked me in...
Below I completed the full interior LED modification. This mod is NOT for the faint of heart around a soldering iron, and patience is a must.
I have about 15 hours of work in just the interior LED mods. It was worth it though.

Thanks to TIM (Tstar) for his advice thru it all.
See Tim's post for tons of information about this mod.
NEW Interior LED Mod Thread - Corvette Forum

All of this is on my web site....
Mark's 2004 Corvette Z06
Scroll down to "C5 LED Enhancements:"

I also cleaned my laser when I was inside my radio. It was starting to read CD's slow and sometimes gave me the Err message. That fix is on my web site too. Its reading store CD's, and home made CD's super fast again !

Here is what I installed for a WHITE looking interior
I frosted all of my LED's with 400 grit sandpaper to help with light diffusion.
Radio = 10x Warm White 3mm 8000MCD LED's
HVAC = 11x Warm White 3mm 8000MCD LED's(I put 2x for fan speed)
HVAC = 2x Red + 2x Blue 3mm 8000MCD LED's (goes behind red/blue dials)
Traction Control = 2x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's
Trunk/Fog button = 2x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's
Pass/Driver Door SW's = 7x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's
DIC = 4x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's (I recommend 3mm though)
HUD = 3x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's
RearView Mirror = 12x White 5mm 20000MCD LED's (No resistors required here)

White and Blue LED's require 470 Ohm resistors, and Red LED's require 560 Ohm resistors.

I also completed the following LED Upgrades around my car.

This picture makes it look Yellow..... its actually VERY RED

License Plate

Reverse Lights

Under Hood

Trunk

Footwelll

Glove Box

Rear View Mirror

Combine all this with my new ACA HID headlights, and I'm sure loving my night time presence for sure !

Here are some details on what I did. I did not take a ton of pics but here are some I did take.

Me trying not to scratch anything taking the dash apart...

I think this was one of the door switches (pass). You can see the soldering that had to be done directly onto the board.

This is the HVAC. You can see the 11x Warm White LED's. If you look closelt you can see the 2x I have for the fan speed. One points up a little and the other points down. Really filled in that light behind that button. I also have RED, and BLUE LED's for the hot/cold dials.

This is the Radio. The resistors have to be oriented a specific way or the buttons will not work once its put back together.

I wrapped the Blue sheet with Aluminum tape to help reflect the LED's light. Its not in the picture, but I also aluminum tape wrapped the wave guide that goes in the top right, and the one on the left.

This part of the Radio I lined the plate with Aluminum foil to also help with light reflectance.

This is the LED board on the passenger side of the rear view mirror. Each side of the mirror has a small board with 6x 5mm LED's on it. No need for resistors here. Just put in new LED's.

I wrapped the traction control wave guide with Aluminum foil tape.

This is the traction control board with the new LED's mounted.

Here is the other side of the traction control unit where the LED's solder to the board.

This is the Trunk/Fog light board. I put 2x LED's in a single spot to help get more light in there. 1 LED was not enough.

Here is a close up of the 16 SMT LED board I installed under the hood. Its designed for 12v so no resistor required. I just installed some female spade clips to the red/black wires and connected it to the + and - in the housing.

I'm loving the change !

Enjoy the pics !

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 02-14-2011 at 8:49pm.
Toque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toque For This Useful Post: