Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478
Default When is the "right" time? 12y/o dog

So my shepherd is 12 or 13 years old, i adopted her 6 years ago, she's been a good companion for my pitbull, Breakaway. Last October she was diagnosed with liver cancer, which has since spread to her spleen. Due to her age we opted against surgery and have been treating with drugs, pain killers, antibiotics, antinausea, and a few more.

Since the beginning of summer she's been peeing in the house, and it's slowly progressed to multiple times a day. So we hired a dog walker to come every day when we're at work. Now, if you turn your back she'll pee by the back door, even if she's just been outside, if we aren't paying attention to her she'll go and pee. If i'm alone in the house, i can't go study in my office or guaranteed i'll come downstairs to pee.

When we first brought her to the vet for this, eventhough she tested negative for a UTI, we put her on antibiotics to treat a UTI, to no effect. We put her on a special medicated food but she couldn't keep it down, and eventually stopped eating it all together.

Even with a dog walker coming every day, we've adjusted to a regular routine of coming home and mopping the house. We keep two pee pads by the door that help, but not nearly enough, (she's a big dog).

Another issue is she's slow to eat, and sometimes quick to turn her nose up at food, sometimes we have to put warm chicken broth on her food to entice her to eat.

My vet says it's time....but she seems fine and happy besides the peeing. WTF do I do?
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote