Old 01-16-2020, 7:06pm   #28
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,056 Times in 3,117 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
downsizing or change in culture? doesn't sound like fired for poor performance.
A little of both. I worked for McGraw-Hill Education, and whenever the economy turned bad, our sales went down because folks would say "Does Johnny really need a new math book? I mean, 2 plus 2 is still 4." In the Obummer economy, sales plummeted for years, and wave after wave of downsizing happened. I survived that, but eventually, the parent company sold the Education division to Venture Capital, and my "position was eliminated". The buyer demanded that me and a bunch of other folks get cut loose before the sale, so that the parent paid our severance rather than the buyer.

It was what it was, and there was no changing it. My boss at the time, "Joe", got let go a month after I did basically because he was too old.

Quote:
I hire skilled building trades guys/union. sometimes they like to play games and know it will lead to them being laid off or fired. Its a completely different game than professional office types. They are grown men, but sometimes act like boys for any number of reasons. Feelings simply aren't part of the equation for most.
I've been in companies like that earlier in my career. Yeah, some guys think that because they have a union standing behind them, they can **** with the employer. Sometimes they win, sometimes they don't.

FWIW: I had lunch with Joe last week. Great guy.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote