DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,863 Times in 11,766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnalf View Post
you miss the whole point. they fired themselves by not acting properly or doing their work correctly. You are just carrying the message.
Here's something to think about. i've very very picky about who I hire and always go over it with my full time employee. With the exception of two students, all have stayed on with the crew for 1+ years all the way to 5+. They've ALL gone on to get great jobs after they graduated that paid more than entry level because I make them work and get the minimum wage pay's worth out of them. My philosophy is those that put for the the effort and take care of the job will themselves be taken care of in kind and I tell them, "When it's time for you to graduate or if you apply for bigger better jobs, I won't hold you back, but i will be honest when called about a reference. My reference depends on you, but you better ask me for one first."

Basically, I take care of my own and I take pride in my student techs who've used this job to prove they are worth more than entry level and gotten the jobs. In my 7 years with the college and 5+ here in my current position, this kid and one other are the only two I won't allow to use me as a reference. God help them if they do because i will be brutally honest and that's as it should be. The other 15 still keep in touch and they are doing amazing!

So, I do take pride in how i run my shop and help teach the student techs, but if they don't work out then that's on them. i still don't like having to fire people because I do know how it effects them financially, but that's not my problem to worry about. that's their problem and I'm a bit too lenient. I give multiple chances to show effort and try to improve because of the nature of the student worker/tech program and jobs (state program by the way) unless the employees actions are so egregious they need to be fired and given an MP3 playerr with nothing but Iron Maiden on it.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote