View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 6:00pm   #76
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

I’m hanging! Worked ten hours today. I am implementing some changes to the business, making calls, starting radio show and changing my thinking.

Separate thread on a music idea.

One big change is developing offerings for smaller companies. I’m accustomed to charging pretty high rates because I literally transform companies from losing money to profitable. The challenge right now is that companies are not making any commitments.

So my short term answer is to do project work and control expectations by being honest. For example, someone wanted me to develop a video podcast for them today. Normally I’d say no, even though I produce my own podcast and can nail it off. The reason is because it won’t drive sales by itself but they usually think it will.

Most “marketing” people would say something like “Absolutely we can do that. It’s gonna change your life!” They know that is bullshit, but they take the money.

I may do the project these days, but I am honest with people. Generating qualified leads for B2B companies takes a plan and a program. It’s ****ing hard to pull off and labor intensive. It takes spending 10%-15% of your revenue.

However, I can see that doing smaller projects can lead to bigger ones, as long as expectations are managed. Over the years I’ve learned that success in marketing and sales takes a system of communications. No single thing will move the needle.

It’s a combination of strategic efforts that gets it done. My point is that I’ve had an “all or nothing” attitude. Now I must compromise to survive. But I won’t bullshit people.

E.g., that (podcast, email program, social media, website) by itself won’t produce an ROI unless you are very lucky. But I can help you build it as long as you understand this.

Does that make any sense?
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: