View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 1:19pm   #20
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

As a kid, I worked at the family business (undertaker). Helped by going to the hospital or death scene and bringing the body to our funeral home. Helped set up flowers, tended the door. Also as my father also owned a 2 family house next door I sort of migrated into being the person to fix most small things that can go wrong.

During that time, up to about 17 or so I also cut grass, shoveled snow, raked leaves to make money. That allowed me to buy my first car a couple year old 59 Chevy 4spd 283 power pack at 16 years old.

Also about my 17 birthday I got a nice after school job at the large super market. The money was minimum wage but I was a carry out person and made about double what the store paid me getting tips.(all tax free). other than working for my father on ocassion I gave up all my other jobs to work the supermarket.

After I graduated school I did a bunch of jobs just to see what was out there and then went to work for the Laborers union as a concrete guy, made real good money at that and bought a couple better faster cars, (muscle car era)

Had a opportunity to be a apprentice in the pipe fitters union and made the move. As the apprentice pay for the first couple years was not that good I worked part time under the table at my buddies speed shop/garage, both selling stuff and installing.

Jumping way ahead I worked for the pipe fitters union for many years as a pipe fitter/welder and took a very decent retirement at age 55.
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post: