Old 09-29-2022, 10:20am   #11
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,613 Times in 3,736 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
I started working illegally at 13, as FL Law said 14, but I massaged that.

Was a dishwasher at Lum's Restaurant, was damn good, I only had to load into machine so had extra time to bus tables, clean around the kitchen, used the slicer for meats and veggies, clean out the walk-in freezer and was the designated parking lot cleaner.

Then I sold door-to-door subscriptions for The Fort Lauderdale New and Sun-Sentinel, never had to deliver, just took the upfront 2-month payment, I was paid minimum wage PLUS $5.00 for every sale, I could make $60/day for three hours work, damn good money for a kid back in the late 70s.

While doing both of the above, I worked side jobs including painting exterior of houses, landscaping-mostly tree trimming and removal, owned my owned Sears Craftsman chainsaw, trench digging, anything that would pay me.

My last two years of high school I worked the islands of the largest / busiest Amoco around, I could run six full-serve and twelve self-serve pumps on my own, I enjoyed the challenge, time flew on that job.

Since age 13 no one ever game me a penny, my mom raised five on her own, no car, cleaning houses six days a week, once I started working I paid for my school lunches, clothes, haircuts and nights at the movies.

I was poor, but working hard got me out of the hole!!

I regret nothing, working hard while young builds your character for life!!
B---B----But what about your gift money?
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post: