Old 05-08-2018, 10:44am   #55
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
What do you guys thinks the true impact will be? Good or bad? I want to understand the perspective from you guys.
I'm going to go with mixed.

I think you'll see increases in membership in more diverse areas and population centers.

I also think you'll see more rural areas take a hit. This will likely not pitch well in the South (as seen by this thread).

People who are younger than me (under 35) are generally in favor of it, by looking at my social media feeds. Folks who are older (50+) generally don't like it. I think we're seeing some generational shifts.

I did get asked by my local council to be a part of some information gathering meetings during Spring of 2017 as someone who is vested in the program. I didn't speak much, I actually went more to listen. Local scouters I work with want to see more people in scouting, not less. They are excited at the potential at helping more young people, not less.

I get that scouting isn't for everyone, and I'm fortunate to work with some of the best (one young man I've been working with on some national initiatives over the last 3 years just got accepted as a Fulbright scholar). It's helped me be more successful, and my goal is to pay it forward. YMMV.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote