Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
I just noticed that the forum software is waaaaaaaay behind on version, the current version is 5.5.3 and VB is on 3.8.4.

Any plans to upgrade?
I've occasionally pondered migrating to a different platform, but if I did, it definitely wouldn't be VBulletin, as it's been a shit product ever since the IB buyout when the guys that originally developed VBulletin quit (and went on to create the XenForo forum platform) . The VBulletin 5 series is pure garbage, no way in hell would I ever consider paying to downgrade to it. (Heck I wouldn't downgrade to it if they paid me)

The 4.0 series was out when GB started this site 10 years ago, but at that time it was riddled with bugs and generally frustrated forum admins. It didn't become usable until about 4.2 (3 years later). This is why he opted for 3.8...It was a proven rock-solid platform, and even today the "pre-IB" 3.8 series is still widely regarded the best forum package ever created, and it certainly has the largest "aftermarket" support and available modifications. Simply put, it works, it works well, there's not much (if anything at all) to be gained by updating, but a lot of features to lose.

If I had to switch to anything else, XenForo would likely be my choice. Possibly phpBB. I have looked at what's out there for forum software, those two are the only ones I felt worthy of consideration. But again, the question is what's to be gained?

And I think I posted this before, but why doesn't IB update their forums to their own product? Corvetteforum is on 3.7.x...Older than what we have.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post: