View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 7:25pm   #39
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 19.8%

Thanked 7,776 Times in 3,461 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Well gents... the data doesn't lie. The C5 is a fast mofo. I have been in C5Zs on a track, but it wasn't mine which means it wasn't getting pushed hard.

In a full weekend at VIR, I really didn't get much chance to really turn fast times. For the first day I was really just trying to figure out the car and on day 2 a combination of slaw cars and mother nature did their best to get in my way. It was actually cold enough that I couldn't get enough heat in the brakes. Eventually I taped up about 2/3 of the duct openings and it worked like a champ.

Through the climbing esses (0:59 in the video), the C5 is nothing short of spectacular. It is absolutely planted.

I haven't looked through all of the data yet, but this was the best so far. a 2:10.5 with misty rain isn't too shabby. I didn't have data so my times are a bit rough, but the fastest I was able to dig up in the C4 was in the 2:12 range.

The C5Zs going at it (racer313g in the yellow one).

...and my new personal favorite picture. Oak tree.

Now onto the important part. Despite having about 90 less horsepower, about 100 ft/lbs of torque less, and being about 150lbs heavier than the C4...

believe it or not... the C5 is faster.

Here is a comparison video of the C4. (~2:13)

It has MASSIVE power down low and gets off of the corners better but other than that, the C5 shows what a decade and a half of suspension technology was able to accomplish. I was honestly worried that the C5 would be a let down after the C4. There is absolutely no denying that the C4 was a blast to drive. I hadn't run with this group in about 2 years, and I still had multiple people come up and ask where the C4 was. There were also 2 different people pissed off that I didn't call them when I was getting rid of it. The C5 simply doesn't have the same kind of impact that the C4 does. NOBODY forgets the crazy C4 flying around.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post: