View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43pm   #15
Kevin_73
Barn Raising I,II
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 0%

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $313284

I got the 68 back together today and drove it.

Floorboard is glassed back together. Parking brake hardware is installed. Brake booster is now mounted in the proper place and rigged to the pedal properly, and installed a new rag joint.
I pulled the transmission out again last night, removed the tailhousing, pressed the speedometer gear into the correct position on the output shaft, and removed the broken bolt for the speedometer gear hold down.

Re-installed the tranny this morning, found a couple of loose nuts in the steering couplers (PS control valve to the pitman arm, and PS piston the the steering arm) and tightened them, bled the brakes, and got it back on the ground.

Steering is now excellent. Speedometer works again. Parking brakes work, but could use a little more adjustment. Brakes work slightly better, they will lock up but still require a lot of pedal pressure.

The only part of the brake system I haven't replaced is the vacuum booster. I suspect it is a big part of the problem since it is not the correct part for a corvette. I have one ordered and will install it as soon as it arrives.

Once I get these last few ongoing issues worked out I will be ready to pull the intake manifold so I can try to stop the rest of the oil leaks from the engine.
Kevin_73 is offline   Reply With Quote