View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09pm   #51
Flatbush Harry
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107891

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp View Post
So i got a nice reckless driving ticket on 168 tonite, mandatory court appearance. Was getting on 168 from 64 and was going maybe 60-65 and was in the fast lane then some idiot merging over from 464 i guess, decided to almost get in my lane then duck in behind me riding my bumper and stays on my bumper and i get a little ticked off. So i drop it down 2 gears and get out of his way so he can get by (me not paying attention to my speed of course cause im watching said idiot behind me). I never saw the cop only untill i saw some flashing lights behind me and i pull over and he says you know why i pulled you over? before i could say anything he says 86 and i say really? and proceeded to tell him about the guy riding my bumper but i know its me he caught and reason why he could care less. So anyone had a reckless driving ticket in Va. I been reading it could be up to a $2500 fine and a year in jail.... and of course points off my license and higher insurance premiums. Oh and i wasnt in the corvette i was in a mustang
Also, it's an E felony. Lawyer up, and good luck.

I had the pleasure of a wreck on I95 in Fredericksburg about 13 years ago after passing out from what appeared to be a Carbon Monoxide leak into the cockpit of my Hertz car. The State Trooper who came to the scene as I was loaded into the ambulance came to the hospital and, apologetically, wrote me up for Reckless Driving, per the VA codes. He suggested I:

1) get a lawyer
2) plead not guilty
3) ask for a reduced charge to which I could plead guilty

I ended up having a hearing in Fredericksburg General Court, in which I defended myself, citing probable CO poisoning per my doctor whose notes in re the medical report from the hospital at which I was treated opined that the probable cause was CO poisoning. The judge bought that, pronounced me not guilty and suggested that I had a pretty good future at the criminal defense bar. He guffawed when I explained that I was not a lawyer but, rather, had obtained a fine legal education watching Matlock and Law & Order re-runs.

One word of advice: when you go to a VA court, wear a grey suit rather than a blue one and, importantly, a red, white and blue STRIPED tie.

Har(hic)ry, raconteur extraordinaire
Flatbush Harry is offline   Reply With Quote