Old 10-13-2011, 9:55pm   #73
polarbear
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,184 Times in 568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013348

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2K View Post
Corporations are like electricity; they take the path of least resistance.

I can outsource jobs to make my numbers? I can buy favorable tax legislation?
Fine, do it.

It's all down in broad daylight, during business hours at the Hart and Rayburn buildings.
And here's the real problem. as we cut to the chase. Forgetting undisciplined dirty hippies for a moment, it's become painfully obvious to the average working (or often unemployed) American how closely the interests of Wall St, Corporations, and Washington DC are aligned. And here's a news flash- those interests aren't generally for the benefit of those average Americans. As long as the boom proceeded, and everyone participated, it was all good.

Now the ugly reality has set in. All that new wealth Wall St created using the new paradigm? Poof- the new paradigm was just the old smoke and mirrors. And those stunning losses? Yup- the taxpayer wound up being the backstop. And those Corporations, the ones that convinced us those high-paying manufacturing jobs shipped overseas would easily be replaced by new, high-tech jobs locally? Some went under- again the taxpayer stepped in. Others found out it's tough to sell stuff when the consumer is struggling to keep a roof over their head. And that global economy? Turned into 10% unemployment, and double that rate for young workers. Yeah, that worked out well. And all those service sector jobs created? Hard to buy a house on $10/hr. (It'll take decades to work off that excess inventory, but that's another story).

Which brings us to today, and a bunch of pot-smoking hippies calling BS on the whole system. Here's my question- how many mainstream voters are sitting in front of their TV's nodded their heads quietly to what these kids are saying? My guess is, one helluva lot more than anyone here thinks.

Which should make the elections of 2012 a lot more entertaining than anyone's expecting right now.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote