Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 0%

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Are they supposed to care for or look our for their own employees?

So are you saying we could afford our social programs if we ended the wars and brought the troops home?

We are not driving them away. That is a fallacy. The problem is there are loop holes that allow these corporations to open up shell companies in other nations, still run their US operations, and then run the profits through the shell companies specifically and for no other reason other than to avoiding US taxes. That is wrong and needs to stop.
Smart companies care for their employees. Not all companies are smart and neither are all employees. Henry Ford paid a higher wage than other manufacturers because he wanted to build a working middle class that could afford the the cars. But then that turned out well for him when the Wobblies, AFL and CIO got going, didn't it? How many folks were killed on both side of the line when the River Rouge strikes got bad?

Why are you blaming corporations for our tax laws? Congress can close any loophole they want at any time. Corporations will employ any and all means - lobbyists, PACs or what ever they can to keep their tax burden as low as possible. That's part of doing business. But you can't vilify companies for stupidity on Congress' part.

Can we afford our social programs if we end the wars? I seriously doubt it. According to the Preamble the priority of the Federal government is to establish Justice, keep the peace and provide for the common defense before dealing with the general welfare. You can't have any type of social programs if there isn't security. BUT, IMHO we don't need to be in Iraq, Saudi, Germany, Japan or anywhere else that doesn't have eminent National Security issues. We can't afford it.
There are apparently still people in Afghanistan and Pakistan who want to kill Americans so I think the President is wrong to rely on those country's domestic security services to keep us safe. I'm for putting more troops in Kabul to eliminate the threat. Kill it dead. then come home.

The second priority is to make sure that everyone who has paid into Medicare and Social Security gets their money paid out when they need it. They've already paid for the those services. Too many people forget that the reason those have existed for generations is those generations have paid for them.

THEN if there's money left, deal with unemployment benefits, Block grants, stimulus graft and that jazz.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote