View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07pm   #9
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

I have yanked the screen on both '01 Z06s I've had w/o any issues. This go around I did it because the MAF was nasty and filled with debris from an improperly sealed OEM inake.

On my old Z I had a Haltech Veonom on it for a bit before I sold the car and that moves the MAF just ahead of the TB which is where GM put it in the C6s.

The car had no issues and ran the same. GM moved it there to allow for straigher airflow and more accurate MAF readings. From what I heard the screens in the earlier C5 MAFs were simply a carry-over from the same part being used on the truck engines where the intake tract was much curvier and the air neede the screen to straighten it before flowing over the MAF.

This is why they were able to remove it on the '02-'04Z... but for some reason they went back to the screen with the C6... not sure if later model C6s have the screen or not.

I've also heard it said that the screen does nothing to affect airflow since the total passage of the MAF with the screen is still larger then the TB opening.
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote