Old 04-28-2024, 12:00pm   #56
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 69.0%

Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,124 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
In Texas, you call 811 (not sure if 1-800=DIG-TESS is still good or not). You're calling to locate really all the other utilities, so you don't sever a CATV/phone/fiber line. Your electric and gas lines are going to be much deeper than the water line here, but it's still a nice reminder of where everything is.

Permission to turn water off? What? People here turn the water off when there's a rare hard freeze, or maybe when they're going on vacation for a while, etc. Why would you need permission to do that? Even if you did for some odd reason, who's going to know or care?

Replacing the whole line is overkill and unnecessary. What's needed is what I suggested.....locate out the line, carefully dig it up closer to the house, see which way the water is flowing, then rinse and repeat until you find the problem. That's lots easier than just digging up the whole thing. I'm betting the shifting soil broke a connection fitting loose.

100 percent but I can't see it from here. But if it's a hundred feet or less and he can't find a wet spot it is easy just to pull the whole line. As far as the turn off on the meter if you pull a permit they will know and some are fussy about it because the meter is their property. I have never had to ask or pay for permission to fix anything so not sure how that works.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote