Old 04-26-2024, 5:28pm   #3
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 1,368 Times in 537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
My 70s era Sanyo direct drive seems to be on its last legs. It seems to require a warm up period, moves the arm slowly, sometimes starts the table rotating, and doesn't drop the arm.

Attempt to fix, or replace?
While I'm still on a 70's vintage turntable, I say replace. Many high quality offerings out there with both analog and digital outputs. Unless you're scratching or playing BS on it, avoid anything listed as for DJ's, the arms, cartridges and needles are made different and wear LP's out quicker without providing any sound benefits.

For highest quality, opt for a cartridge with an elliptical needle, far better quality but fragile ( no dropping a needle, place it gently...). There are currently two cartridge types making the rounds, but I can't remember the why of chosing either.

Modern manufacturing has made turntables better than ever. But be sure to properly clean and store the records too. I'm down from around 5,000 LP's to only about 800. CD's have filled in now that I have a current Marantz set up to make them sound right. Probably only got about 600 CD's. My wallet cries out in fear at thrift stores and record collector meets....
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post: