Old 04-24-2024, 12:23pm   #114
Bruze
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 10,315 Times in 4,342 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
My first microwave was made in 1980. Lasted until 2017. The new 'upgraded' $$$ built in lasted about 3 years. The cheapy Wal Mart one is working fine in it's slot. ALL appliances are made crappier than they were in the past. Electronics seem to be a mixed bag. My 13 year old Zenith 50" flat screen has been flawless. Thousands of hours of use watching old movies and youtube videos, and of watching no spectator sports or NASCAR.
I didn't mean to imply that it didn't work as well, or last as long, as the old ones -- it does, so far anyway. It's a Frigidaire, not that brands matter anymore.

It's the freaking controls and the hoops I have to jump through. I hate freaking beepers whether they're on trucks or microwaves. The "Finished" beeps on this are VERY long, VERY loud, with a LONG silence between them, and there are four. I'm not deaf, I can hear when the cycle is done and don't need a freaking backup beeper off of a 10-wheeler to remind me.

Luckily, it does have a silent mode. But the directions to set it up are convoluted beyond belief. And every time the power flickers (I have a WH auto gen, but when the power goes out I get a 1-2 second loss, and that's enough) it wipes my settings out, I have to get the manual out and go through the whole rigamarole again.

Another stupid thing: The only time the light will come on is when it's running, and it shuts off and stays off once the cycle is done. The older ones, as I recall, the light would also come on any time you opened the door -- like when the cycle is finished and you wanted to check your food or whatever.
Bruze is online now   Reply With Quote